[meteorite-list] Thin Sections

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:29 2004

Hi Steve and all,
I agree with a lot of what you've said but would also like to acknowledge
two Michaels (Blood and Cottingham) who both also have been selling large
quantities and varieties of reasonably priced thin sections for at least the
past year. Both these people must also be applauded in addition to Dean
Bessey for really opening up this area of collecting. This is not meant to
slight any of those people who have supplied small quantities of thin
sections to a rather select few over the years. I believe though that the
recent rapid growth in thin section collecting is, in part due to the
availability of the rather inexpensive Tobin polarascope attachment for the
MBC-10 microscope, which has allowed many people to view thin sections
without the associated high cost of buying a polarizing petrographic
microscope. Another three cheers here!

 Now, at my last count, there were almost a dozen dealers in meteorite thin
sections. Quite impressive growth if you ask me.
Regards,
Frank