[meteorite-list] Texas Fireball Sighting

From: Dave <Dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:33 2004

> 12-3-00 Fireball Sighted from Airplane may have reached Ground(sic)
>
> This evening I observed easily the brightest meteor I have ever
> witnessed from the ground or the air. I was flying into DFW airport when
>
> about 100 miles northeast of sabine pass on the texas gulf coast at an
> altitude of 35 thousand feet(approx 10:05 PM), I observed a very bright
> green light descend from above 60 thousand feet down into a cloud layer
> at about 20 thousand feet still burning very brightly. If anyone has any
>
> information on this sighting or could point me in the right direction I
> would be very greatfull.
>
> Joe Robau 214-912-7961
> joenet1_at_prodigy.net

I have also gotten reports of this from southeastern and northeastern
Oklahoma. You might check with the planetariums up there to see if they got
reports (Kirkpatrick Planetarium in Oklahoma City (405-602-3761) and Wichita
Omnisphere and Science Center (316-337-9174)). Same is true for the Science
Place Planetarium in Dallas (214-428-5555 ext. 392) and the Noble
Planetarium in Fort Worth (817-255-9300). I got no reports here in southern
Louisiana.

Dave Hostetter
Curator of the Planetarium
Lafayette (LA) Natural History Museum and Planetarium