[meteorite-list] Brazil National Museum Completely Gutted by Fire

From: michael kelly <apest2many_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 23:57:47 +0000 (UTC)

 This is very sad. ?
It does bring up a question i have thought about and am interested in what the list members think/do for fire assurance.
?Is there a way to store a collection that would help protect it from fire. ?I am talking along the full spectrum of effects from a small room fire indirect heat. to a full structural fire. ?I just recently started collecting and i am working on a type collection of micros so everything i own besides two fist size nwa unclassified is sitting in a plastic case, very meltable even at low heat exposure. ?Its currently out for viewing so my estimate is i would have plastic indistinguishable blobs even from indirect heat. ?And wouldnt be able to tell things apart once the case markings are lost. ?Is there a better way to mark?
??I already owned a safe, and have seen crusing meteorite articles that others store in safes, but was always interested in knowing if that was for security, to leverage some sealed enviornmental aspect (even the small ones come desicated) or for fire risk. ?Or a combo of all. ?I know fire ratings are a bit hokey on safes. And in fires if a safe is not on the foundation level its pretty much doomed. ?And in most cases is apt to sit in hot rubble conditions longer than its rated for. ?Or under water in a flooded rubble filled basement longer than it is flood rated for.
I am guessing however in either of the latter scenarios if stored in non plastic inner containers they would be fine.
Wondering what everones take is on fireproofing collections. ?Is there a decent way to fireproof and still be displayable? ?Are folks using safes thinking it will help in a fire??If exposed to a bad fire has there ever been an effort to reidentify and restore specimins?