[meteorite-list] New conflict concerning the Grefsen mass of the Oslo meteorite

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:35:56 -0700 (PDT)

One problem is that the press rarely mentions collaboration between scientists, collectors and finders.?? The owner of the main mass may not trust their government and feel the need to protect his/her assets.? I am sure a lot of U.S. finds are not being reported or shared for the same reason. Hunters are keenly aware that the 10 pound limit here is just a farce.? If the U.S. government determines their is cultural or scientific value, then the finder is sure to lose their find regardless of any weight limit.? Good luck to anyone who finds the first American lunar.?? I am sure they will be very protective because government officials and politicians tell lies most of the time to the people they "serve" and are never held accountable for it.

Some will never get the message as I still see people openly selling meteorites found on dry lake beds here in Nevada although they are not to be used for commercial purposes.? 89% of the land here is B.L.M. which covers virtually all of the dry lake beds.

These days, No good deed goes unpunished so expecting somebody to freely collaborate may soon be a thing of the past.

Adam