[meteorite-list] New conflict concerning the Grefsen mass of the Oslo meteorite

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 10:02:57 -0600

Martin,

Thanks for posting! I think I was able to decipher the article's
translation. I am left with the impression that all the Norwegian
scientists are asking is that the Grefsen be classified?

I did check the MetBull and this is the result: No records found for
meteorites with names that contain "Grefsen"; No synonyms containing
"Grefsen" were found.

Seems incredibly short-sighted of the holders of the main mass not to
want it classified given that all that all they will give up is 20g!
Plus the value will be enhanced. Furthermore, this is also the type of
bad behavior that does get attention of government officials, and so
at some point they may indeed change the current "finder is owner"
rule to "finder must give all to the Kingdom of Norway".

Or perhaps this is a Norwegian turf war? Perhaps an outsider could
convince the owners to do the right thing and get it classified. Has
anyone contacted them?

Carl Agee

*************************************
Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Professor, Earth and Planetary Sciences
MSC03 2050
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131-1126