[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk at White House today

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:08:51 -0600

It's extremely doubtful that this body could have done all that much
more damage. It simply wasn't big enough, or strong enough. A little
steeper (or just as likely, as little shallower), a little earlier or
later, probably wouldn't have made much difference.

While I'd love to see a constellation of IR space telescopes looking for
asteroids in this size range, realistically there's probably nothing we
could do if we found one, and as a matter of public policy, the money
might well be considered poorly spent.

The reality is that the actual risk to human life and property from
small asteroids is absurdly small compared to a large number of other
things that we actually have some control over.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com