[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk at White House today

From: Michael Farmer <mike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:24:30 -0700

Also, let's think about how much made it to the ground.
If the numbers are correct, with ~500 kilotons of detonation, and 11,000 metric tons of mass, and lets say even if 99% vaporized in the explosion, that would leave 110 TONS of material on the ground! And I certainly do not believe that 99% vaporized.
The very bright mass easily seen flying out of the terminal cloud in the videos is estimated by Russian scientists to have been at least 10 metric tons and flown 180-200 km past lake Chebarkul. By no means is that little hole in the lake the "main mass".
That should have survived intact since it was intact after the detonations and went into dark flight. It is now likely in the Ural Mountains.
I think that piece might have made a nice little crater had it come down in the city.
Michael Farmer

Michael Farmer

Sent from my iPad