[meteorite-list] Arizona Meteorite Museum Exhibit + 2013 Tucson Gem Shows

From: Meteorite Men <meteoritemen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:40:51 -0700

Dear Listees:

New Year's greetings from Tucson. With the 2013 gem shows less than a
month away, I'd like to make a special invitation to those of you who
will be making the trip:

As many of you already know, my "They Came from Outer Space" meteorite
exhibit opened in October of last year at Challenger Space Center
Arizona. AZ Challenger is one of a network of wonderful educational
outreach institutions that stretch across the United States. Their
mission is to educate and inspire young students via space and science
programs, and also to honor our astronauts who gave their lives in the
quest for knowledge.

I curated and designed the exhibit, with help from the Aerolite
Meteorites team and the support of Steve Arnold who loaned us some of
his exceptional finds. "They Came from Outer Space" is housed in the
primary exhibition space at AZ Challenger and will run for a full
year. Over 50,000 people will see the display, which I consider one of
the most positive manifestations of increased interest in meteorites
as a result of "Meteorite Men" the TV series.

Featured displays include the 230-lb Brenham found on the pilot
episode of "Meteorite Men," a large half Admire pallasite, the main
mass of the Vaca Muerta individual we found in Season Two, an in-situ
diorama of eleven Ash Creek individuals, along with over 100 other
meteorites, metal detectors, hunting equipment, expedition outfits,
props, informational posters, and memorabilia. Also featured are just
three of the many new-to-science meteorites that have come to light as
a direct result of the TV series.

Entry to "They Came from Outer Space" is free with regular admission
to the center, and we'll be giving away two-for-one admission coupons
at both my Hotel Tucson City Center location (Suite 323) and the
Meteorite Men Tent at Kino/TEP, all through the gem show. (Please
note: The Tucson Electric Park Show/TEP is now called Kino Gem &
Mineral). It is about a four-hour roundtrip drive from Tucson to the
exhibit. If any of you are flying in or out of Phoenix and would like
me to get you some coupons in advance, please just let me know.

For further information, please see: www.theycamefromouterspace.com

I'll have some news very shortly regarding the 2013 gem show party, a
giant gem show charity raffle that we have organized to benefit
Arizona non-profits, and a few other things of note.

And those of you making your first visit to the gem show may find this
website to be a useful resource, as it includes hotel recommendations,
day trip ideas, a restaurant guide, and lots more:

www.tucsongemandmineralshows.net

It's been a bit chiller than usual, here in Tucson, so hopefully it'll
warm up by January 30. Regardless, it'll still seem plenty comforable
to those of you visiting from Canada, New York, Moscow, etc. : )

See you in a few weeks, cheers and best wishes,

Geoff N.

www.aerolite.org
www.meteoritemen.com
www.meteorites.co