[meteorite-list] Confirmed September 2012 BLM Regulations.

From: hall at meteorhall.com <hall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 16:00:12 -0500

   Just how does the casual collecting of meteorites differ from the
casual collecting of gold? Gold is selling for over $1,600.00 per troy
ounce, far more then most meteorites sell for. There are many thousands
of causal gold hunters. Both gold and meteorites are difficult to find.
Why should the regulations be different?
   The United States science community stands to lose, not gain, from the
new regulations. Before the new regulations, anyone finding a 25 lb.
meteorite on our Federal lands (as a very few have) would want a
classification of said meteorite. That may no longer happen.
   Now, if the BLM had come to a positive approach to sharing meteorites
over a ten lb. limit, say, as an example, split between the finder and
the BLM, which could then supply the Smithsonian (or other appropriate
museum) with the BLM's half. The finder could then do as they please
with their share. The Smithsonian would get the meteorites classified,
they would be happy, the meteorite hunters would be happy (at least
much happier then with the current regulations). The meteorite finder
would no longer have to pay for a classification, though they could if
they so desired. Good regulations work for both our government and the
people of the United States!
   Perhaps the IMCA should contact the Gold Prospectors Association of
America, to find out how to stop unfair regulations before they are set
in stone.
What the meteorite collectors and hunters need, alas, is a lawyer to take
the BLM to court.
Regards, Fred Hall