[meteorite-list] KATOL (L6) is official

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:45:09 -0700

Mike, Andy, Jim,

I don't have bias one way or another in the case of Katol, but looking
at the data in the write-up this is a clear-cut L6 chondrite -- no
ambiguity. There are chondrules albeit highly equilbrated, the
olivines are L6, the pyroxenes are L6, the oxygen isotopes are
L-chondrite. If there were no chondrules, high Wo and OC-type olivine
and pyroxene, then one could make the case for type 7. I'm just going
by the numbers given in the write-up, I haven't looked at this beyond
a quick glance in hand specimen, not an achondrite -- period.

Carl
*************************************
Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Professor, Earth and Planetary Sciences
MSC03 2050
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131-1126