[meteorite-list] KATOL (L6) is official

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:33:57 -0800

Hello Carl, All,
The low standard deviation on Fa and Fs denotes a high degree of
equilibration, not just "5 or 6." "Five or above" would be more
accurate. The nearly absent chondrules and high Wo are at [or beyond]
type 6. If you're a researcher who believes in type 7 chondrites,
since not all do.

Based upon similar observations, one would simply call Al Haggounia
001 an aubrite, or an EL3 if one were lucky enough to find an
unequilibrated chondrule. The textural observations would be
irrelevant. If we looked at other meteorites in a similar fashion,
subgroups and textural designations would disappear.

Since nomenclature blows back and forth, this is something of a
semantic argument; as I understand it, the "poikilitic shergottite"
you recently analyzed would have been a "lherzolite" only a few years
ago, and no amount of discussion then or now would have changed that.
And there is of course variation in analyses. NWA 5205 is paired with
NWA 5421 and our NWA 6501. Which was supposedly paired with NWA 6283.
 Very distinctive material, with classifications ranging from LL3.2 to
LL3.7 to H3.6.

But you did note that the shergottite was poikilitic. So is Katol.
This stone has been metamorphosed in a unique way for a chondrite, and
its classification required a much greater degree of attention because
of that. But the result does not reflect that. Just like Al
Haggounia 001, the "aubrite." It's odd, and I do think that
'pigeonholing' is the right term to use here.

Regards,
Jason

www.fallsandfinds.com