[meteorite-list] KATOL (L6) is official

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 14:39:38 -0800

The lab data you (Carl) mention suggests only L, nothing more. No
one's arguing with that. We had that data months ago.

As I understand it, not one chondrule was observed optically in Katol;
they were found only when examining BSE images. This would have ruled
out a chondritic classification prior to the widespread use of SEM's.
And the fact that we're discussing this now is relevant; no other
"type 6" chondrite has been metamorphosed to this extent (literally
invisible chondrules, unless you have a multi-million dollar piece of
equipment at your disposal).

Since this meteorite doesn't texturally resemble any known L's, having
been melted and slowly cooled to a poikilitic texture, deeming it an
L6 is pigeonholing it. Larger-scale heterogeneities resulted in 140
gram iron meteorites and 200+ gram literally metallic-iron-free
meteorites with glossy Ca-rich fusion crusts. Such things aren't
usually glossed over when classifying a meteorite.

It's just like calling Al Haggounia 001 an aubrite, EL6/7, or EL3.
Just because you can justify a classification with a few parameters
doesn't make it an accurate descriptor of a meteorite. Which of those
classifications is best? EL3. Is it right? No. That stone doesn't
texturally resemble any other (enstatite) chondrites of any kind.
It's anomalous.

Rather like Katol.

Jason

www.fallsandfinds.com