[meteorite-list] 10 Falls this year - Can we set the 21st century record for recovered falls?

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 12:34:28 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ben,

They were not BLM agents this time, just government employed "researchers" emboldened by the new laws governing meteorite hunting.?? I will let the hunters in the field relay first-hand what happened as their report should be accurate.? Hopefully they will provide some names so we know who to avoid.

All I have to say about Gold Basin and eBay is that any reviewer can cause problems for sellers by saying something was obtained on federal or state land and quote these new BLM rules.? I was also told directly, along with a hunting party, by a BLM agent from Needles, California that they do monitor eBay and websites for meteorites found on federal land.? I will even go as far as to state their is a snitch among us pretending to be helpful.? He is well-known and pretends to be interested in the science although his actions dictate otherwise.? I will not mention his name here on the List as it would create a huge controversy which this snitch involved our group in before.? He caused a major headache for us.

I have not had any problems with BLM agents here in Nevada although they are federal so they can cross state lines any time.? The last one I ran into was very helpful and was actually knowledgeable about collecting mineral samples, evening referencing his book for us.? He did state that nothing collected on federal land could be used for commercial purposes without a permit.? On the other hand, some BLM agents from California seem to make up their own rules as they certainly are not listed in book or website that I have ever seen.

Happy hunting,

Adam