[meteorite-list] 10 Falls this year - Can we set the 21st century record for recovered falls?

From: MikeG <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 12:11:32 -0500

Hi Listees and Hunters,

If all the reports of recoveries turn out to be solid, then we have
ten recovered meteorite falls this year so far. This is taking into
account the new fall over Tata Morocco that Aziz Habibi reported to
the List and the recent news of the Addison and Novato falls.

2012 falls so far :

Feb 11, 2012 - "Huangzhong/Xining" (unofficial) (L6 chondrite?) : China
Mar 01, 2012 - "Oslo" (unofficial) (ordinary chondrite?) : Norway (Hammer)
Apr 22, 2012 - Sutter's Mill (C - Carbonaceous) : California USA (Hammer)
May 03, 2012 - "Diplo" (unofficial) (ordinary chondrite?) : Pakistan
May 22, 2012 - "Katol" (unofficial) (achondrite) : India (Hammer)
Jun 03, 2012 - "Comayagua" (unofficial) (ordinary chondrite) : Honduras (Hammer)
Aug 22, 2012 - Battle Mountain (L6 chondrite) : Nevada USA
Oct 12, 2012 - "Tata" (unofficial) (ordinary chondrite?) : Morocco
October 17, 2012 - "Novato" (unofficial) (L6 chondrite) : California USA(Hammer)
Oct 30, 2012 - "Addison" (unofficial) (ordinary chondrite?) : Alabama USA

This is the most falls in one year since 2008, when we also had ten.

In 2007, we had nine falls.

So, we now have a little under two months to track down and recover
one more meteorite to set the record mark for the 21st century.

I have not looked further back into the records to see when the last
time we had more than ten falls. My personal records of recovered
falls only goes back to Tagish Lake and the year 2000. The Met
Bulletin only displays falls that have been approved by NonCom, so
confirmed and recovered falls like Zunhua, Breja, and many others are
not represented there. Taking into account credible and verifiable
reports of recoveries, my list appears to be as close to authoritative
as possible. (if anyone knows of reliable recovery reports that are
not reflected on my list, please contact me and let me know)

I think this apparent increase in recovery rates is due in part to a
greater awareness of meteorite falls by the public on a worldwide
level, and the skilled use of Doppler radar and sky-camera data to
track bolides and project the strewnfield locations in the US - thanks
in no small part to the fine folks behind Galactic Analytics, Marc
Fries, Rob Matson, and others. This is not only interesting from a
statistics-geek standpoint, but it is also encouraging to think that
this successful methodology can be applied to any place on the planet
covered by Doppler radar. Well done everyone. :)

Keep up the good work everyone and happy huntings!

MikeG

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/GalacticStone