[meteorite-list] Hunt Goes On for More Meteorites

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 11:21:22 -0400 (EDT)

"Rivera said he took an oath not to tell what they saw for fear that
rogue meteorite hunters ? eager to sell galactic collectibles on eBay
? might pounce on new potential meteorite locations and rob scientists'
ability to research more rocks."

Maybe I'm missing something here, but from sitting on the side, I've
gotten the impression that its standard practice for various meteorite hunters
to hide their hot spots from each other until the "cat is pretty much out of
the bag." I think it was on the first episode of Meteorite Men they
talked about keeping the location of Pallasite finds secret. I also think on
another episode, a hunting site in Nevada was also suppose to been kept
secret. On occasions I've read on this list where individual hunters or various
groups would hint at not mentioning where they are etc. while searching for
a new strewnfield. I honestly don't think Jenniskens is doing anything
different for his interests, than what the rest of the meteorite hunting world
is doing for themselves or group.
George Zay