[meteorite-list] New Strewnfield and Yet Another Cold Find by Todd Parker!

From: Larry Atkins <thetoprok_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:16:21 -0500 (EST)

Hello List,

This is all so fun and exciting I had to share!

On Feb. 23 my friend Todd Parker eyeballed a new meteorite in the
field, making his seventh career cold find. It weighed 3.3 grams and is
nicely crusted. We searched the area for more but none were found so we
assumed it was probably a lone stone. Two days later I was on new
ground more than 3 miles from Todd's find when I found a 120 gram
stone! There was a fragment about 6 feet down the hill which I cut in
half to reveal an apparent IMB. A day or two later Todd and I were
talking about our new cold finds, that's when I asked to see the
interior of his new stone. After looking at it with a loupe I realized
his looked identical to the light, less shocked matrix in mine. I had a
few colleagues look at the two pieces and opinions were unanimous, they
are likely paired.

I hunted the area between Todd's find and mine for the next 20 + days,
give or take a day, with no luck. The area is very steep and washy, not
the ideal hunting conditions, and it was slow to give up another
treasure. Todd was busy and not able to hunt much but on Feb 20 he cam
out and made yet another cold find ! This golf ball size stone appears
to be an L chondrite with the most perfectly round chondrules. I don't
have pictures or specifics at the moment but will post them later. You
the Man Todd!

Confirmation of a strewnfield came on Feb. 21 when I recovered a 181.4
gram oriented stone 1/4 mile from my 120g find. Pictures of these
stones and Todd's 3.3g can be seen here;

http://s934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/alienrockfarm/New%20Arizona%20Strewnfield%20IMB%20Meteorite/

I'm interested in selling the full slice and the end cut but do not
have weights yet, I left my scale in Michigan, and have to borrow one.
I'll post the weights to the picture descriptions later tonight or
tomorrow. If anyone is interested in making an offer just email me off
list. This is an offer to list members only, I'll put some small part
slices on ebay later.

Characterization and classification is to be completed after the field
work is
done. Due to the difficult nature of the area and an apparent lack of
stones, field work shouldn't
take too long. I doubt there is much material available and what is
there is not easy to find due to the steepness of the terrain.

Interesting feature: If someone can comment on the black bar seen in
the full slice it would be appreciated. I don't believe I've ever
seen this feature before. Though I'm sure it's the result of shock, it
doesn't appear typical.
Also, the 120 gram stone has a right angle fracture that seems a bit
atypical, R. Ward was looking at it the other night and said it was
slicken sides, cool.

I hope you all enjoy the pictures, have a great day!

Sincerely,
Larry Atkins
?
IMCA # 1941