[meteorite-list] Tissint and IOM on KNME-PBS

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 09:11:21 -0700

Hi Shaw & All:

The most recent findings will be reported at the Lunar and Planetary
Science Conference, next month in Houston, by Irving et al. Here is
the link to the session "New Martian Meteorites and New Perspectives
on Old Favorites":
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2012/pdf/sess204.pdf

It is still is early days. In the PBS segment they show some SEM
images that we made of Tissint in our first exploratory electron
microprobe session. Something that really impressed me with this
meteorite are the very nice melt pools scattered throughout. These are
not shocked maskelynite glass (that's there too), but true glass melt
pockets decorated with very fine quench crystal boundaries. May or may
not be formed by shock. Obviously the glass will be a target for
studies of martian volatile compounds. The organics are also being
studied.

At this point the main attraction is the freshness of Tissint. This is
particularly important because it makes it easier to interpret the
data as a true witness of martian surface processes, not clouded by
terrestrial contamination. Stay tuned......

Carl

--
Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Email: agee at unm.edu
http://meteorite.unm.edu/people/carl_agee/