[meteorite-list] AML Huss mystery (Taiban b)

From: Mike Bandli <fuzzfoot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:50:14 -0800

Hi Mendy,

What you have is indeed Taiban (b). The original Taiban (b) was found in
1975 as referenced by both Huss and the 1980 IOM catalog. The total weight
was 11.5 kg.

Now, the confusing part. MetBull list Taiban (b) as an LL6 found in 1984
with a total weight of 641 g. If we look at the original reference for this
entry (MetBull 84) we will see that this stone was reported with a group of
New Mexican finds from J.M. DuPont in 2000.

I believe the most likely scenario is that Huss' Taiban (b) was never
officially published and that DuPont's Taiban (b) is a completely different
meteorite, not paired to Huss' specimen. This would explain the different
classifications. Since there was no Taiban (b) officially listed in 2000,
Taiban (b) was assigned to DuPont's stone, even though Huss had already sold
many specimens during the 1970/80s as Taiban (b). If we could find a sample
of DuPont's material to compare, then we could solve this mystery once and
for all. (Anyone have a Taiban (b) with DuPont provenance?)

This is not the only confusing New Mexican find. These areas of eastern and
north eastern New Mexico produced many individual meteorites during the 20th
c. thanks to efforts by LaPaz, Nininger, and Huss. Some of these meteorites
weren't published until years after their finds, despite being sold as named
specimens earlier. As Bernd mentioned, LaLande and Melrose also have issues,
and there are others...

Either way, Huss' Taiban (b) from 1975 should be the correct one. If
DuPont's is not paired, then, in my opinion, it should be renamed Taiban (c)
or Taiban (1984) and the entries in the MetBull amended.

Hope that helps.

All the best,

Mike

Mike Bandli
Historic Meteorites
www.HistoricMeteorites.com
and join us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/Meteorites1
IMCA #5765

If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or
copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have
received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If
you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing,
copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited.