[meteorite-list] OT: For the Geologists and Math Wizards!

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:25:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hey Jim,

Gold, huh? Break of a quarter sized piece and send it to me. I don't
return samples though because of the million I receive every day ;-)

Kidding aside, I guess there are nifty formulas floating around that
make assumptions on the matrix composition and that you've long since
figured out that your rock doesn't fi the composition assumptions. If
you have to know and that is more important than the whole specimen as
a collectible or memento, ah the meteorite conflict rears its ugly head
- I have to cut it to know what it is...

My thought would be make a nice slice right down the middle to make two
matching halves you can polish for aesthetics. Look at it for what
that tells you as to the gold aggregation in it. Maybe save the
cutting dust to check for gold content of thar. Then, check the
density of each half to see if they agree. If they don't that will be
a clue that something's up with the rock. Or you could just keep it as
is to enjoy and imagine it as you wish! Anyway good luck ;-0 -doug