[meteorite-list] OT: For the Geologists and Math Wizards!

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 09:30:09 -0700 (PDT)

Jim,
This is square in the middle of my life as a gold exploration geo.? There is no
fancy creative math involved with this one.? Carefully determined the volume of
the rock.? If the matrix?is primarily quartz, multiply the volume in cc by 2.65
gm/cc to find what the rock "should" weigh without gold, giving you a baseline
weight for the unmineralized rock.? Any additional weight is an approximation of
the gold (+silver) content.? This obviously involves a couple of
approximations.? If there is anything other than quartz present in the matrix
(calcite or clays or?FeOx?for example), the baseline specific gravity assumption
will have to be adjusted.? See the tektite specific gravity page on our website
(tektitesource.com) for procedures for determination of ?S.G.

Cheers,
Norm