[meteorite-list] Why did they not use the leftover propellanttoheighten the orbit and push the rogue satellite into space?

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:35:12 -0400 (EDT)

Thank you and succinct and very well put Rob! I'm sorry I didn't get
your post before replying to Dennis with mine and if you have any
comments on it I'd appreciate them ...

I agree there is "counter intuition" going on here.

Sometimes taking it to the extreme helps me think about these sorts of
things.

So: Let's say you put on the brakes so hard that you stopped your
satellite in in its tracks. Then what would happen to the orbit?

Well, I guess it would be just like a linear spring expanding and
contracting with the earth at the midpoint. In the real world that
would just be a free fall smash.

But if earth were a equal-sized double planet and no air resistence in
between, and the satellite were perpendicular to their plane of orbit,
you would just get it oscillating up and down between two points in the
"shared sky" through the center of mass. Those points could be as far
away as you wished. The further away they were, the slower the overall
"orbit" average orbital speed would be...The closer they were, the
faster the average orbital speed would be.

That explains intuitively why average speed is slower for higher
orbits, right or wrong, at least to me ;-)

Kindest wishes
Doug