[meteorite-list] Why did they not use the leftover propellantto heighten the orbit and push the rogue satellite into space?

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:58:43 -0400 (EDT)

Dennis, Probably you're right in this case, (and maybe even generally).
  I think I was answering two questions at the same time, since it is
slowed down in a higher orbit and slowed down to de-orbit. The
question was really, though, what is the first step taken.

1. When you raise an orbit, if it is circular you actually do slow it
down. At higher altitudes, gravity is weaker,and that makes freefall
slower to balance the forces for a stable orbit, if I'm not mistaken.

2. To de-orbit ---like preparing for a gentle landing---, you would
also slow it down, yes, since the idea is to change from a circular to
an arc of entry...but I believe (without thinking too hard) that the
orbit itself will now deform, in terms of the orbit, probably by
increasing the eccentricity and the new shaped will now be helpful in
determining where you will make your entry into the zone of significant
air resistance. Like taking a nose-dive into the atmosphere ...
though I am thinking once the nose dive is taken this is where the
velocity will really increase since the situation is now dynamic(which
was the reason for my answer you are commenting on).

But whether it increases or decreases will be determined by the point
along the orbit that you fall since the ellipse will have faster and
slower points. Probably you could alsop speed it up and get a
different ellipse that gets closer to the atmosphere than the original
circular orbit. But that wouldn't usually make much sense if you
wanted to land the satellite. Maybe to burn it up better, it would.
The devil is in the details.

(Third) guessing, slowing it down to de-orbit makes the orbit more
elliptical and with this you you select the closer point along the new
ellipse to aim the puncture of the atmosphere (begin re-entry) where
air is thick enough to "catch" it and dampen the remaining energy, like
a calculated ripping through a spiders web.

  If you raise a circular orbit, you would thrust at a right angle to
the orbital direction ("up" or "radially") and the satellite must slow
down through some transfers to gain a circular orbit at the higher
altitude.

Never had a toy satellite to play with ;-) but the mechanics of what to
do aren't necessarily obvious when you go through more than one step in
transfer orbits to achieve your goal.

Thanks for pointing that out, it would be nice to see a graphic
animation of this to better visualize it!

Kindest wishes
Doug