[meteorite-list] ad- offering for sale a killer eucrite breccia like none other!

From: Edwin Thompson <etmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 22:54:55 +0000

Greetings list Members!
Writing to introduce what I believe to be one of the wildest and most beautiful eucrites ever to fall to Earth. The pictures attached are of a center slice from this single beautiful mass. The slice weighs 121 grams. Slices from this stone range from 50 grams to 145 grams. We?ve also had three thick slices cut for museum curation.
Last month Marlin Cilz and his lovely wife Debbie came to Lake Oswego for a visit during their vacation travels throughout the Northwest. While they were here visiting we opened up the vault and went through a number of stones and irons that show cutting potential. Among other items Marlin talked me into slicing and polishing a large piece of our ?Super Green? NWA 6693 the pyroxenite.

In Tucson this year I bought a large oriented achondrite. It was a huge gamble and a high priced purchase. But it was one of those times when instincts told me that it was something special. I really should not have made the investment but the stone was so beautiful that I figured that if it turned out to be an HED instead of planetary that I could at least maybe get the investment back by selling the oriented stone whole. We donated a large fragment taken from an already broken surface (78 grams) to UCLA for classification. The stone was classified as a eucrite (NWA 6694). This seemed to feel like a bit of a letdown. Now the vault was home to a very pretty, oriented, expensive, loaf of bread.

Well, Marlin looked at this not so little gem and said; ?why don?t you let me take a single cut off this side of the stone where it is already broken and it will clean up the stone, give you a good look at the inside and you can still sell the whole thing if that?s what you decide you want to do.
A week later we were talking on the phone and while talking about other pieces Marlin was cutting for me I said ?hey Marlin, how about just cutting the end off of that stone and then send me a picture of the cut face. He did that and when he emailed the picture it was one of those moments that one remembers forever, a definite Kodak moment.

My favorite meteorite feature has always been breccia. I remember getting week in the knees the first time I saw Chico at UNM and the first time I saw Abee. I could not be happier to get to share this gorgeous meteorite with all of you. We are selling it and there are roughly twenty slices. So please feel free to contact me or Patrick off list for sizes and prices and pictures.

 Just minutes ago I got the long awaited phone call from my neurosurgeon?s office telling me that my back surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday September 20th. So this rock truly is a gift from Heaven. Hopefully it will help pay the medical bills.

I also want to take this opportunity to publicly thank Darryl Pitt for all of his support and knowledge regarding this pending surgery and everything leading up to this time. I never dreamed that someone could talk me through the pain like Darryl has done. Instead of feeling like I am falling apart, Darryl has helped me to feel like this is just part of the program. Darryl has given me more answers and information than any ten doctors could have. He has been through exactly the same problem and repair. May the Heavens bless Darryl by dropping loads of gorgeous meteorites nearby. Not on him but nearby! Thanks man.

Sincerest regards,

Edwin

etmeteorites at hotmail.com to reach me or for Patrick at; Patrick at etmeteorites.com

http://s1110.photobucket.com/albums/h443/etmeteorites/

The slice featured in photos here measures 3mm x 11cm x 15cm and weighs 121 grams

P.S. I would also like to start a thread about this breccia and any other similar eucrites. I have looked everywhere I can think of looking and I have not been able to find any other eucrites that have a similar breccia. This list is a powerful resource of knowledge so I am asking all of you if any of you members have seen another eucrite like this one. I would imagine that there might be something similar found in antarctica but I can find no photographs. Has anyone seen anything like this? Maybe something that might be paired?
Thanks, E.T.