[meteorite-list] non-magnetic meteorites?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 11:46:52 -0400

Hi David,

Yes, there are meteorites which show no visible attraction to a
magnet. Such meteorites are in the minority, but they do exist. Some
examples that come to mind are - some lunars, most martians, and some
metal-poor achondrites like angrites and aubrites.

Since meteorites are heterogeneous, there can be a wide degree of
magnetic variation for one sample to the next, or from one region of a
given sample to the next. For example, a metal-poor lunar stone may
show no magnetic attraction over 90% of it's surface, but a bleb of
free metal may exist inside the stone and that one spot will show some
attraction.

Best regards,

MikeG

Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galactic-Stone-Ironworks/218849894809686