[meteorite-list] Strange Happenings

From: James Beauchamp <falcon99_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 08:48:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Adam,

I am very envious of your adventure.

During the early days of WWII, due to the cosmic numbers of aircraft we were using, you couldn't flight train everyone on existing active airfields, so a large number of auxiliary airfields, also known as outlying fields, were built. They were used mostly for approach and landing training. No buildings were needed - just level pavement.

This method is still alive today, but the demand is much less due to advances in simulation and of course the much lower number of planes in service.

I went through nav training about 12 years ago in Pensacola and have fond memories of repeated approaches to these fields with Satan (A.K.A Instructor) screaming F-bombs from the back seat. A student and instructor drawing OLF duty will land at the fields to sometimes observe and direct the patterns.

Over time, the desert and local communities have absorbed them. I predict this particular triangular patterned field served multiple other uses such as visual navigation and aimpoint training, and maybe even served as a Drop Zone for cargo run training. The list could go on for pages.