[meteorite-list] Sedimentary Martian Meteorites

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:52:45 -0400

Martin,
As always, I like your input but please look at the subject line on this thread.
We are talking about Sedimentary rocks here.
All of these planetary rocks you refer to are igneous. Not sedimentary. They actually do look like meteorites to me and you both.
Sedimentary rocks might have layering and veining, sand, mica, and too many other oddities to mention here.
But the point is that until these Scientists are paid to test all ice field finds and not just the igneous ones, we may NEVER find any sedimentary meteorites. We need to re-think what we are looking for,
We know these rocks exist on Mars. So, we know they exist in meteorites.
I offer you the challenge again.
Ask any Scientist if he is EVER willing to study any rock that resembles a sedimentary rock that lacks fusion crust.
His / her answer will be NEVER.
I recall in a post seeing a pile of meteorwrongs posted by a Scientist that were found in the ice fields. Those would be good candidates to re-check.
Thanks.

Carl
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax
---- Martin Altmann <altmann at meteorite-martin.de> wrote:
> Ya but Carl,
I know for example, that like everywhere else also in Germany meteorites lie around - they are there, but nobody has a chance to find them.
And I think I can calm you, look here for instance:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2011/pdf/2371.pdf
There the main mass of NWA 4925 is depicted,
the stone had zero fusion crust (an enormous terrestrial age) and a thick whitish-grey rind around.
Or even more extreme: NWA 4485 - a thick white rind all around.
http://www.meteoris.de/img/lun-mms/NWA4485a.jpg
Such stones are picked up in desert, they're acquired by people, who think, they could be meteorites and are brought to the labs, and the scientists accept them as candidates and analyze them.
So obviously that system works.
I chose those two examples, because those are extremely atypical and extremely rare meteorites, where also the usual "tests" like e.g. a magnet doesn't work.  One is a shergottite, the other a KREEP-bearing lunar.
In general, all of the major dealers and hunters have often to handle stones without any fusion crust, because they are fragments or because the crust has weathered away.
Or stones, covered with desert varnish, which befalls all types of rocks, not only meteorites.
Look at these - in the field they are looking like the opposite of a meteorite,
in the very hand until then no expert would have supposed them to be meteoritic
and even cut they didn't look like meteorites:
http://www.haberer-meteorite.de/DSCN0036.jpg
Nevertheless they were recovered, they were picked up, they were analyzed - and are now lunars.
Btw. - that's why I have the opinion, that it is of urgent interest for "science" to actively advocate private meteorite hunting, collecting and trade - or at least not to suppress it.
Because I fear such stones else wouldn't be found or identified.
On all university expeditions ever carried out in history - outside of Antarctica with its special conditions - so far only a single piece of a lunar was found, SaU 169 in Oman, which was easily identifiable, because it had black crust and was looking like a typical meteorite:
http://www.meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/stones/lm_sau160a.jpg
And where alone in Oman, the private hunters recovered in the same years 22 different lunars in 100-200 pieces.
And the same: all "official" non-Antarctic undertakings resulted in the find on one single Martian stone,
which was a late additional find of a Martian, whereof the private hunters had recovered before more than 10 kgs.
That isn't meant disparagingly, it's only to demonstrate, what seems to be necessary, that atypical and rare meteorites can be recovered at all. The scientists in the hot desert seem not to be able to spend the necessary manhours and/or they are not so well trained/experienced for the very particular job of recovering such stones. (Finances would be a minor problem, if you compare the expenses of the private hunters with the fund used for "official" hunters).
So if it once will be granted, that those, who can do it best, can continue their work,
then I personally wouldn't worry much, that too exotic types of meteorites would remain unrecognized.
They were found and they will be found.
And else, what you wish, it is not practicable.
I got the recent years so many stones showed, where the people who found them, were so convinced, that they must be meteorites, and if they had really no properties of meteorites, that they must be a new type and so many insisted, that they would have to be measured and analyzed, that you could occupy two university departments for many years with only proving that these stone are terrestrial.
Which institute was it, which offered to take a look on all stones sent in, whether they could be meteorites?
We had the photo here once on the list, with cubic yards of parcels.
And you have to understand, those Space and Geoscience departments are no service industry to tell to people, whether their stones are something or not, but they shall do mineralogy, space science and planetology!
It would be a horrible waste of resources - of lab equipment and highly-qualified people, if their main occupation would be to test myriads of non-meteorite-looking terrestrial stones, in the vague hope that one day one of them could turn out to be a very special space rock.
Therefore I think, it's better to wait, until those, who have as main profession the recovery of possible meteorites, will bring them such a stone or until something like that will be found in Antarctica or until a fireball smashes something like that directly in front of our feet.
And if that will have happened, then it's easier, because then we all know what to look for.
Patience, patience.
(We all do the best we can :-)
Best!
Martin