[meteorite-list] Point of Diminishing returns (Slice thickness)?

From: John L <jl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 20:33:14 -0500

Michael and All,

A 2mm Ribeye, draped over a 100 watt light bulb for 43 seconds turns out
perfect.
Micheal's words "habitual ways of thinking" may just boil down to (in my
opinion only) a natural transition from a new collector to a more seasoned
collector. When someone decides to begin collecting meteorites, for whatever
reason, and is trying to explain to family and friends about his/her new
venture--it just wouldn't work to show them your newest .006gm micro (this
is an extreme example) and expect them to look at it for more than 20
seconds but when you hand them any iron and EVERY single time they exclaim
"wow that's heavy for it's size"--now you have their interest and they want
to see more and most important they're more prone to listening to you about
your new hobby.

In my circles, i'm trying to get everyone i know to buy the biggest Campo
they can afford and learn & educate yourself. Hopefuly, one of them will,
one day, have the knowledge that you guys/gals have. Everyone starts
somewhere.

Personally, i'm on the side of as aesthetics and given the choice of a 4mm
vs a 2mm, i would probably take the 2mm-if it was a more revealing piece.
My true love is TS's and i have about another 40+ to post to the Eom. To me
it's like looking into the sole of the universe.

And that's my 3 oz's of Ribeye fat