[meteorite-list] Point of Diminishing returns (Slice thickness)?

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 16:27:04 -0800 (PST)

Hi Micheal and List,

The first question I am always asked is "what is your price per gram?", not
"what is the surface-to-weight ratio or the dimensions", for that matter. The
dimensions are only asked for after the price per gram question 99 percent of
the time.

I will always choose the most attractive piece that was well prepared over some
block-cut monstrosity without any polish any day. The problem is that a lot of
dealers/collectors trade meteorites like they are commodities, not the true
rarities that they really are. The rules have changed the last few years
making the price per gram the number one issue when shopping around.

The key is learning a balance which is different for each and every
meteorite. I am still learning this balance after preparing well over 35,000
specimens.

Best Regards,

Adam