[meteorite-list] Home, Home on La Grange!

From: Steve Dunklee <steve.dunklee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:58:20 -0700 (PDT)

I was thinking about the lagrangian points and neo's as they fly by as easier methods of getting pristine material. With the Japanese probe not finding higher concentrations of dust I am now wondering if the observed patches might be caused by a higher concentration of light as it is bent by the earth like a lens and the 10 deg rotation caused by the moon as it revolves around earth? I also think using a rare earth magnet in the center of a probe covered with balistic jel might increase the chances of collecting dust and small meteroids. it would be cheaper sending out small probes inside a ballon that expands to several feet or even up to ten meters which collapse when punctured and return to earth orbit. all the electronics could be smaller than a jump drive. and thousands of them could be made for about 20 bucks each. and launched into orbits that would bring them back to earth. and they could all be powered with a few solar cells to keep the cell
 phone charged up. since we already have hand held radars we could put one of them in too. the whole probe when launched the size of a cell phone. expands to ten meters with a half gram of hydrogen. and calls home when punctured. waiting for small neos to come by earth and capturing them or getting a sample would still be cheaper than a moon mission. I also think sending a probe perpendicular to the earths orbit about 100 million miles up would be the most cost effective way to find possible neos. what we are doing now is like trying to look at the edge of a saw blade. or sitting next to a merry go round wondering when is that bully going to kick me in the face as he goes by. a camera obove the merry go round would see that boot sticking out a lot sooner than trying to see it sitting next to it.
have a great day
Steve