[meteorite-list] Home, Home on La Grange!

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 02:30:46 -0400

Hi Sterling and thanks for the reply! I am sorry I can't respond as
much as I wish now (some emergencies came up), but please let me
summarize:

Anaxagoras and the anti-Earth concept: Completely disagree that
Anaxagoras was mixed up buying into that. As you also say, it was
Pythagoras' students who looked for the geometrical balancing of
things. Anaxagoras was not a believer in perfection and balance which
spawned the Anti-Earth concept. Aristotle was and blackballed him and
he was eventually kicked out Dodge for his heresy against the harmonic
order of things.

Anaxagoras was Greece's foremost meteoriticist and was incorrectly
believed at the time to have predicted the fall of an iron meteorite
which was widely witnessed 2500 years ago. It is clear he studied the
iron, but the part about him predicting the fall is highly likely to
have been misunderstood by the masses - the prediction was more likely
that space rocks could fall. One fell and that led to the
misattribution of prediction vs. theory, since the press was as crazy
then as it is today.

Anaxagoras' pupil, Diogenes of Apollonia explicitly defined what we now
call meteoroids, and today we have diogenites since some kind modern
folks recognized this. However, Anaxagoras' work was basically lost and
it is more than my gut feeling that it was actually he who formed
Diogenes' beliefs on the subject. In today's terms, Anaxagoras would
likely have been the first author on the paper. Anaxagoras went on to
hypothesize that the Sun was made from iron. This was based on the
flames produced by the meteorite that was witnessed. It's difficult to
say for sure who's idea was what but I tend to believe we are less
willing to give them credit for ideas than was the actuality. That is
another thing about meteorites that hasn't changed in three millennia.

OK, Kordylewski Clouds - Yes I was referring to the same concept but
not by name. I hope my fellow Poles will forgive me. I avoided the name
since it is surrounded by some debate as you noted and I just wasn't up
to that debate since the point is not to worry about what is visible or
not since the tones we are after are invisible from here anyway (and
the clouds are documented visible from earth with the naked eye under
Vesta naked eye opposition visibility conditions - sometimes). The
point I'm after is not what we can or cannot see. This is a region we
simply have a deficit of information and is very useful to staging
missions or even colonizing as I suspect you remember the hubbub a
while back, from the new title you gave the post. For the benefit of
those others interest in this thread, this is the chorus of the L5 song
(the interesting part), named after most likely destinations of a
Lagrangian mission to collect space rocks La Grangian / libration
points 4 & 5 = L4 & L5, not to be confused with the ordinary
chondrites) --

(The L5 song, by Higgins and Gehm)

Home, home on Lagrange,
Where the space debris always collects,
We possess, so it seems, two of Man's greatest dreams:
Solar power and zero-gee sex.

They are referring to the fact that no energy is required to park in
the Lagrangian points, and the escape velocity is very minimal. Most
importantly :-), they are basically the equivalent of desert blowouts
in space and ripe for meteorxxx hunting.

Best wishes
Doug

OK, meeting the goal of answering your post and now returning to
lurking status as promised.