[meteorite-list] Cat Mountain Precautions

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 07:03:39 -0700 (PDT)

Now that the other half of the story is out and the cat is out of the bag, I can hear the sounds of 4X4s being fueled, tuned up, loaded and ready to head out.?

For those who are not familiar with the area, I would like to advise using caution. Temperatures this time of year in the Tucson area exceed 105 degrees on a daily basis.? This may not sound like much to us who live here in the Southwest but if you add in the fact that this is also Monsoon season, the humidity will make it even more dangerous.? Stay out of the wadis (washes) as flash floods are a real danger during the Monsoons.? I think somebody drown in a nearby intersection just a few years ago.? Swinging a metal detector up on a hill in Monsoonal lightning storms is not a good idea either.? I only mention this because I have seen hunters lose all common sense once meteorite fever sets in.

If you are not used to the desert, you can easily become dehydrated without realizing it.? You have to drink at least twice the amount of water than you normally would elsewhere.? This is very difficult to do since your body will not absorb most of it unless your potassium and electrolyte levels are up.? I think half of your hydration needs comes from food itself so you cannot instantly acclimatize. I have heard of people dying within a half an hour stranded on the side of the road.? Something as simple as trying to fix a flat tire in 120 degree heat can be deadly if you are not used to the high temperatures.? Carry several gallons of water in your vehicle, not just a pint. ?

Please cover your digging holes and be respectful to land owners.? A few less-than-considerate people can ruin it for the rest of us.

Happy Hunting,

Adam