[meteorite-list] Seeking Impact Materials

From: Ted Bunch <tbear1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:20:56 -0700

You ask a lot - there are good impactites offered at the Tucson show and on
the internet. If you collected in the Raton Pass/ S of Trinidad road cuts
along the Interstate or outlier sites from the Interstate in the region, I
hope you had a knowledgeable field guide with you. Most of these exposures
are slumped over. If you collected elsewhere in the region at a "clean"
site, the "fireball layer" is difficult to resolve even if you are a trained
geologist and even then, it is a ball buster to recognize the K/T layer.
Clay layer look-a likes are intercalated with thinly bedded carbonaceous
shales and coal seams and this sequence is typically meters thick on either
side of the boundary.

Good luck,

Ted Bunch