[meteorite-list] Seeking Impact Materials

From: Robert Beauford <robertbeauford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 22:02:04 -0800 (PST)

Ted,
Yes. It was no small process to collect the samples. Weeks of research went in to preparing for the trip, and even at that I did not feel confident enough in what I initially collected along the highway to reliably call it KT boundary material, for exactly the reasons you point out,... though I did spend quite a while squatting precariously on a very uncomfortably steep slope over the cut above the access road. I did finally locate the iconic layer in a good clear exposure outside nearby Cokedale, a location that has been decribed as one of the best in the world. After collecting, I followed the exposure for a half mile or so down the railroad tracks there... a truly memorable walk. If I didn't have hundreds of hours of experience tracing subtle difference in dolomite and slight variations in sand or silt content in limestone for miles through the valleys of the Ozarks, I don't know that I would have found it.
As it is, it was one of my more enjoyable outings.
-Robert Beauford