[meteorite-list] Meteorites 101-Bolide

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:54:44 -0700

Just to reiterate, the term "bolide" is best avoided when precision is
required- not because it is undefined, but because it is overdefined! It
means one thing to (most) meteoriticists, something else to geologists, and
yet something else to meteorologists.

Like "planet", it is a word best left without formal definition, and used
only with qualification.

AFAIK the IAU is not considering a definition for bolide. A couple of years
ago they were considering revising the definition of "meteor" to include the
body itself during its atmospheric passage (which most now use "meteoroid"
for). I don't know where things are on that proposal. In any case, I hope
they just leave "bolide" alone, since even with a formal definition applied
to meteoritics, we aren't likely to get any less confusion.

If you're talking casually, in a known context, use whatever terms seem
reasonable. But if you want to make things clear, something like "a
30-second fireball with extensive fragmentation and subsequent acoustic
events" is always going to be a better choice than "an impressive bolide".

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com