[meteorite-list] Meteorites 101-The Bolide and the Nuclear Bomb

From: Regine Petersen <fips_bruno_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:39:07 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,

can some of you explain to me the similarities of an exploding meteor and a nuclear bomb? There seem to be a lot of references and explosive asteroid events are often measured in Hiroshima bombs to scare the hell out of people.

I always asked myself the question why that is? Is there not a different process at work, that of nuclear fission (atom bomb) and fusion (hydrogen bomb)?

But when considering Tunguska, the aftermath seems to be very similar. I would like to know more about this: There has been accelerated tree growth due to the radiation, have there been any cases of mutations or illnesses of animals? Is such a radiation as severe as that of a bomb? And what is the difference / similarity of Tektites and Trinitite?

Regine