[meteorite-list] Udei Station vs. NWA 4024 winonaite types

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:02:58 +1100

G'day Mike,

I asked this very same question about a year ago and got some very good
replies. Here are some of them:

http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2010-March/062685.html
http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2010-March/062688.html
http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2010-March/062729.html
http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2010-March/062736.html

Bernd summarised with the following:

"It is likely that the winonaites cooled faster than the silicates in IAB
irons,
which may have been more deeply buried. This is supported by the metallo-
graphic cooling rates of Winona, 200?C/Myr, and IAB irons, 10-50?C/Myr.

So, maybe these metallographic cooling rates can help make a clear(er)
distinction between the two: Silicated IAB's and winonaites."

Cheers,
Jeff Kuyken
Meteorites Australia
www.meteorites.com.au