[meteorite-list] Sponsored met adds in google search

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 19:49:35 -0800

Melanie, You're talking about Google Adwords. It's the advertising
program that shows vendor ads (sponsored ads) in the right had column
when you do a Google search. It's based on keywords, and/or keyword
phrases, and what any vendor "bids" on those keywords. Some dealers may
or may not be running their ads during the show, or may have cut back on
their daily budget. MikeG is right, it could be economic. I think it's a
combination... Vendors bid on keywords and "Pays Per Click" every time a
user clicks the ad. It's rightly called PPC advertising, and how Google
makes BILLIONS!

Type in "How to make money online" in Google and you'll be bombarded
with Adwords ads in the right hand column of most any browser. However
type the single keyword "chondrite" and it shows nothing, or only 1 or 2
ads at random. This is because not many people/vendors are bidding on
that keyword. Type in "Meteorites for Sale" and a few more results show up.

The reason my Meteorites USA does not show any more in the "Sponsored
Ads" column, is because I turned off my Adwords ads. ;) It's not cheap,
and it was only pulling 25-100 visits per day. I get 5-10 times that
traffic through organic search each day, so it's pointless for me to run
my ads constantly unless I have a special promotion.

Also, Tucson Show is going on right now. Meteorite dealers may have
turned off their ads while they are at the show.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Eric