[meteorite-list] Shirokovsky

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 09:53:24 -0400

So, does anyone know exactly who made this stuff? If not, do we have
a general idea?

Can anyone speak authoritatively on the origin of this material?
Several veterans have claimed it was an intentional fraud, but nobody
has explained exactly where/when this material showed up on the
market, represented by whom, and what follow-up(s) were made to track
down the source. Was law-enforcement contacted? And were the
scammers publicly shamed/exposed for their crime?

If we don't know exactly who made it, then can we really say
(definitively) whether it was created as an intentional fraud or not?

How do we know Shiro is not some accidental slag that a scammer found
and then decided to fraudulently offer the material as a meteorite?

I'm trying to defend a fake, just trying to better understand the
story behind the material and what drives people to take such
passionate stances against it. I can almost hear the vitriol dripping
from Adam and Doug's statements about Shiro - I respect both of their
opinions and I am now very curious about this material and what makes
them so riled up about it. Do we know for certain it was
intentionally created solely for fraudulent purposes? Or were the
fraudsters merely being opportunistic when they chanced across Shiro?

Best regards,

MikeG

PS - all sales of pallasitic engine blocks are hereby suspended until
further notice. ;)

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com