[meteorite-list] mercury escape numbers? can it be this?

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 15:04:31 -0400

Hi Walter and great to see you still active on the list, also Sterling
and Mark and ET and all listers

Rex is referencing my comment on the escape velocity from the Sun, in
addition to the escape velocity from the planet. I.e., the closer you
are to the Sun, the greater the escape velocity at that distance.

Perhaps I was a bit sloppy, since in fact escape velocity is not the
exact measure needed to get from the Mercury to Earth (note: escape
velocity from the Sun's grip at Mercury to the Sun's grip at Earth),
but rather a significant part of it. It is conveniet however to think
of escape velocity. The same is true for Earth, for example, if you
are at the Moon's distance, the escape velocity from the Earth is only
1.4 km/s instead of the often quoted 11.2 km/s from Earth's surface.
Escape velocity depends upon the mass and distance from the center of
mass as well of the primary object, but as you note it is normally
thought of fromm something being launched from the surface. In this
case, thought, it is the Sun's escape velocity that trumps everything,
incluiding Mercury's surface escape velocity.

Since Rex is correctly observing (as I also mentioned in my original
post) that in an eccentric orbit you can play with the gravitational
potential energy so that you are further away from the Sun, the escape
velocity from the Sun at Earth's distance if that is where the
semimajor axis of the ellipse reaches will not be the barrier. The
question to ask at that point is how something smashing into Mercury in
the first place - when all of Mercury's momentum is in the orbital
direction. So, you there is no easy "escape" from this conumdrum in my
opinion.

As was already covered very effectively by Mark (and also covered in my
original post, and to some extent by Sterling when we discussed moving
orbits in the asteroid belt some time ago) the energies required to
change orbits are on a huge scale. So if we treat this as a "delta"
energy and pay close attention to the velocity vectors, the correct
question to ask IMO is in order to change the energy from a Mercury
orbit to deliver it here on Earth, how do you flip the velocity vector
enough to send it here without channelling such a great amount of
energy into the rock that it completely changes form.

How would you throw a tennis ball out the window of your speeding car
(even without air resistance to deal with) and get it to peacefully go
on its way in a perpendicular direction?

As for the Canadian modeling, Sterling I respect the modelers and have
been there and done that myself, well in material property situations
-not orbits. But, letting the computer plug and chug while we all chug
our own cold ones is not enough unfortunately. With all modeling, a
few basic assumptions are made; with all published work on modeling,
even though the authors say generally the assumptions, it is not always
so hermetic that one can reproduce identically.

I welcome their addition to the literature, had not heard of it
before...but what I will say is it is *NOT* an *ab initio* calculation
that they have done, and I would need to see all the fudge factors to
properly criticize such a work. It does bring up good questions and
comments as a tool - but it doesn't change the physics of the
situation. If I had more time I would get into it, but at the moment I
am luck to find time to type this poorly thought out comment.

Kindest wishes
Doug

Regarding ET's specimen, whether or not it is from Mercury has little
impact on its incredible status. Not being from Mercury (IMO) is in
fact more exciting because we aretalking about a completely different
parent body that holds more of a key to unraveling what happened in the
larger bodies in the evolution of the Solar system.