[meteorite-list] "Death by GPS" in desert

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:46:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Chris and List,

Yes, the weather is excellent 9 months out of the year, I love the desert and
you get somewhat acclimatized. I used to think 80 degrees was a little on the
warm side, now 100 degrees feels perfectly comfortable to me. I only
air-condition the house down to 84 degrees and feel I need a jacket when coming
out of the heat. I have seen locals barbecuing over a hot grill and carrying on
as normal when the ambient temperature was well over 120 degrees without
cracking a sweat.

The main thing is to drink tons of water and have a good working air-conditioner
in your car. My air-conditioner failed one time in my truck on the way back
from Las Vegas. It must have been over 160 degrees in the cab. Zann and I
suffered for about 1.5 hours. If we were not somewhat acclimatized, we probably
would have suffered from heatstroke. It is very dangerous to travel during the
summer and they do not broadcast heat advisories very often. It is wise to make
sure everything is in good working order in your vehicle. I carry 6 gallons of
water, a well stocked first-aid kit, a portable battery for jump starting other
vehicles, spare hoses and belts. I have helped over a half-dozen people who
have broken down in the last few years. You won't last too long on the side of
the road without everybody helping each other out.

Best Regards,

Adam

-