[meteorite-list] Cosmic Ray exposure

From: Edwin Thompson <etmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:11:55 +0000

Hello list members,

Do any of you know the cosmic ray exposure of the D'Orbigny angrite? It is an extreme area of curiosity to me how a chunk of relatively light and fluffy planetary basalt filled with so many huge vesicles and large vugs filled with these delicate augite crystals can drift through the cold of Space for any length of time and still fall to Earth in such a highly un-metamorphosed, pristine condition. I understand all of the theories on how the delicate and glass lined vesicles were formed but how did they survive the typical impact history of most rocks from Space particularly when D'Orbigny is said to be so very ancient. It's dating puts it's formation way back there in the early days of the formation of our Solar System. And yet another question that begs explanation; is there a remote chance that based on it's unique structure from the outer surface to the deeper areas of the matrix that it might have been it's own planetary body? I know that the late Dr. Gerot Kurat had some 'outside the box' ideas about D'
Orbigny but it is such a strange and wildly different meteorite that it is hard not to ponder it's genesis and life through time in our protoplanetary disc.

Is anyone out there currently working on D'Orbigny or angrite research projects? I still hold 12.5 kilos of D'Orbigny that I have been hoarding for over 10 years. For researchers who are actively researching angrites at this time, I have some material that I am willing to donate for research projects. I am also always interested in museum trades with D'Orbigny. Contact me off list for details at etmeteorites at hotmail.com

Sincerely, Edwin Thompson (E.T.)