[meteorite-list] Meteorite eBook Opinions Sought

From: Kevin Kichinka <marsrox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 15:31:40 -0600

Many of you on the list have purchased, and hopefully enjoyed, my book
"The Art of Collecting Meteorites". It was self-published in 2005.
When it was still just a dream no publisher found my proffered
synopsis worthy of consideration. After I had sold hundreds of copies
I re-submitted the actual book to a dozen publishers. Most rejected
it, and the couple that were interested wanted to change the title,
change the cover, delete many photos, eliminate "color" illustrations
and diminish the quality of the paper it was written on. For this, I
would net about $1 per sold copy. Unpalatable.

I'm down to about twenty copies (Blaine Reed also has a few left for
sale) and have considered having the printer, Bookmasters, run off a
hundred more so I can continue to fill orders. Otherwise "we will turn
the final page" (pun intended) and it will go "out of print" soon. The
cost of this small run is so high that I would need to charge $26.95
for a book that has sold since 2005 for $21.95 to earn the same slim
profit margin.

I am looking for learned opinions from the people who have or could be
the end users, the fine people who are avid meteorite aficionados on
this meteorite bulletin board.

1. Are there any buyers in these difficult times for a 232 page
all-color, high-quality paperback book priced at $26.95?

2. Would anyone purchase the same book for $13 (half-price) to be read
on their computer in a pdf (Adobe) format?

3. Would anyone purchase this to be read as an eBook (Apple) or from
Amazon (Kindle)? How much is "The Art of Collecting Meteorites" worth
to you in these formats?

Your opinions will play a great part in my decision.

Regards from Nine Degrees North....

Kevin Kichinka (MARSROX at gmail.com)