[meteorite-list] Meteorite eBook Opinions Sought

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:39:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Kevin.

_The Art of Collecting Meteorites_ was literally the second book I owned about meteorite collecting and the first one I purchased when I started collecting seriously.

All things being equal, I personally would rather have a hard copy book in my hands. Real books are "instant on", "random access", are not subject to changes in technology or format. 4000 year old books are still readable and always will be. They require no power source. They also have other ephemeral benefits to the reader, readers like me who prefer bound books; The feel and sound of turning the page, the smell of the ink, paper and binding, the heft and size of the volume, etc.

Bound books will be with us forever, but I can also see that the future will not be kind to the majority of books.

This past July sales of ebooks has surpassed sales of bound books for the first time in history. Just as the amount of first class mail has diminished and newspapers become unprofitable and close their doors due to dropping readership, bound books will continue to hold a smaller and smaller market share.

eBooks haave plenty of benefits, but in my opinion eBooks have more than their fair share of negatives and I have no intention to start buying eBooks in any quantity any time soon. I think I've purchased exactly one eBook, but only because the author chose not to do a bound run.

The real question you have to ask yourself is where is your future market?

Is it with older collectors who have been using the ancient technology of bound books for decades, and in many cases already HAVE your book, or is it with new collectors, who may be younger and are transitioning to to eBooks rapidly?

Its becoming clear that the future of books is in a digital format, no matter how little I (and other respondents) like them that way. For economic reasons alone, you should probably complete your final run of bound books to satisfy your immediate orders, but go with a digital version as those stocks are finally depleted.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography