[meteorite-list] NWA 6292 (BRA) IS paired to NWA 5400 !

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 17:06:25 -0400

Hello Peter, GregC and Tom,

Peter has it right, each and EVERY suspect 'pairing' to NWA 5400 absolutely
has to have oxygen isotope analysis performed, on every stone. Most people
do not know about the additional stones that 'looked' like NWA 5400, but
oxygen work proved they were not paired. I even submitted samples from
additional stones I sampled while in Morocco two years ago that 'looked'
similar to NWA 5400, but oxygen analysis later proved them to be 'just'
brachinites. NWA 5400 is one meteorite that requires these advanced
analysis, no shortcuts or visual 'pairing' will cut it. As Peter pointed
out, "...further studies are currently [being] made concerning NWA 5363." In
other words, oxygen isotope analysis has not been completed so "NWA 5363"
has not been confirmed as a pairing [to NWA 5400]. The last discussion on
this List during the summer months stated that. Dr. Irving had not yet
received a sample of "NWA 5363". But then again, which of the 30 stones, if
any, were sampled and sent to him?

Since we know that NWA 5363 consists of 30 (thirty) different stones
totaling ~2kg, I and Dr. Irving, among others, believe that each and every
stone that is considered as "NWA 5363" need to be individually studied and
have oxygen analysis performed, unless all 30 pieces fit neatly together as
a puzzle, which they do not. As we know, visual comparisons do not make for
a pairing even upon the 30 pieces where only one stone was sampled. As Dr.
Irving stated, "NWA 5363" will always be a suspect meteorite because of the
unfinished work (no oxygen performed) and the fact that there are 30
different stones that were visually paired, tossed in a box, and then sold
around the world as being paired to the one sampled "NWA 5363" stone.

I am not trying to further any negative discussions here, these are just the
facts. If I had a stone from "NWA 5363", you bet I would send a piece of
that particular rock and have oxygen analysis performed, preferably by the
same lab where NWA 5400 was studied. Short of that, you have, or are
offering, unconfirmed stones which may or may not be paired to the "NWA
5363" stone, much less NWA 5400.

I will not engage into any further discussions here regarding this topic. If
you have concerns about your "NWA 5363" stone, contact a scientist who is
willing to study your rock.

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe