[meteorite-list] NWA 6292 (BRA) IS paired to NWA 5400 !

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:27:56 -0700 (PDT)

I have to agree with Greg H. on this one concerning O isotope data and pairing of 5400. Under normal conditions, the standard testing will work, but when it comes to the unusual nature of 5400 and 6292, more should be done.

As NWA 6291 showed, you can not base the fact of pairing only on visual observations. Many questioned the pairing of it to the 2999 group due to the fact it was so unique from what is already a unique group among the angrite class - even though the same person did the testing on both samples. They dont look anything alike, yet are paired.

I think with the large amount of 5363, some may be paired, but some may not if they were not recovered at the same time, but it will be a tough task to tell what material came from what stones unless good provenance has been kept.

Paired or not, 5363 still is awesome material. I want a sample just to have because of the story that goes with it! Anyone got some that wants to trade? Send me an email off list!

On a side note... Take a quick look at NWA 6291, 6292 and 6293. When is the last time you remember seeing 3 meteorites of such distinguished nature numbered together? Owning samples of all 3 made me think about this...

Greg Catterton
www.wanderingstarmeteorites.com
IMCA member 4682
On Ebay: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/wanderingstarmeteorites