[meteorite-list] bleeding in stoneys-- Lawrencite Disease

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:19:39 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry to hear you pet is ill, Steve. This sounds like Lawrencite Disease. It is

contagious and your pet should be quarantined and handled only with latex or
cotton gloves as it is a condition you can inadvertently transfer to healthly
members in the cage.

This comes from the mineral lawrencite: Iron Nickle Chloride. (Fe, Ni) Cl2 is
a loosely bonded molecule that is in constant exchange: chlorine gives up
its iron ion to the hydroxal ion then goes and gets another iron or nickle
atom-- which it will also be lost to water from the air. The chlorine ions are
"hygroscopic": that is they pull water out of the atmosphere. The H2O binds
with the iron to form iron oxide aka rust and the H2 is liberated as gas. The
chlorine ions are a catalyst-- they are not consumed in the continuous reaction
like other chemical reactions are. The also won't wash away easily. Therefore
minor chlorine contamination can consume an entire meteorite over time.

Interesting to note, the mineral lawrenceite, was originally identified in one
of the iron meteorites from Alabama in the late 1877
<http://webmineral.com/data/Lawrencite.shtml>
>From the mineral data page on lawrencite:
Comments: Capillary tube of lawrencite solution with opaque oxidized
precipitates, derived from hydrosocpically absorbing water from the air by solid

lawrencite, collected from an oozing meteorite.

I think camel sweat is certainly a potential source of chlorine ions not to
mention random handling with bare hands. This must be kept in mind
when adopting NWAs.

The lawrencite appears in solution as an "ooze". It has high surface tension
and the smaller blobs are typically a golden iridescent ovoid. When I first
found them on my specimens I thought they were insect eggs.

Yes, the treatment is to completely go through the cycle of washing, soaking in
sodium hydroxide, washing again and drying, etc.

Good Luck.
Elton