[meteorite-list] OT: Listening To Fermi

From: JoshuaTreeMuseum <joshuatreemuseum_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:16:05 -0400

Interesting point Eric. My question is: how many years of complete and total
silence would it take to reach the conclusion there's just nobody out there?
1,000? 10,000? a million years? a billion? a googlezillion? You could listen
for eternity, hear nothing and say, well we just need a little more time. I
don't buy the argument of time scale. If there are aliens out there
transmitting at anywhere near the rate of Earth's output, surely in 50 years
we would have heard one little bit of Morse Code by now.

Phil Whitmer

I might agree with that sentiment if there were enough information to
support it. However, I've got an interesting question about perspective
and time.

If a child looked out the window of a house for a mere 32/1000th of a
second and formed a conclusion that horses do not exist, would you say
he's correct?

Eric