[meteorite-list] Rust Question about my stone meteorite. BKF is the best :)

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 08:43:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi List,

Most museums and notable collections realize that proper preparation is the key
to preservation. Slices should be polished on both sides to reduce surface area
which can and will trap moisture. A properly applied polish is the most
important step in preserving any cut meteorite that contains metal. Tap water
containing chlorine should never be used in the cutting or polishing processes.
They should be stored in an area that doesn't experience huge temperature
swings. Specimens do better in very low humidity. A lacquer coating should
never be applied. Some less knowledgeable dealers apply a lacquer coating as a
shortcut. Although, it may make the specimen look more desirable, it will never
provide a substitute for a professionally applied polish. As a mater of fact, it
actually traps moisture inside the specimen, will yellow over the years and is
just plain bad.

I learned the hard way. I had a several thousand dollar Brenham Pallasite
dissolve into a pile of crap in a few short years. The slice actually flexed
when I remove it from the safe. The only thing holding it together was the
lacquer coating which held long enough for me to throw the specimen into a trash
can. I was so disgusted that I never purchased from that dealer again.

Hope this helps,

Adam