[meteorite-list] Crazies - Was Meteorite testing locations - Was meteorite millionaire

From: bill kies <parkforestmet_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 21:29:29 -0500

I used to invite people to my home so we could examine and discuss their finds. Bad idea. After several experiences with disgruntled "meteorite" owners I had to give that up. Some people get downright mean when you tell them the bad news. I've never seen anything like it in 40 years of buying and selling just about everything else on earth.

By the time I wised up, quite a few crazies knew where I live. People have shown up as late as 2 in the morning knocking on my door. I've found rocks in my mailbox, rocks on my porch, rocks on my truck and even had the windshields of several of my vehicles smashed with of course, large rocks. The windshields could have been random vandalism I guess.

So, I started meeting people at the public library or if they were particularly paranoid about losing their priceless windfalls I'd meet them at the police station! Keep in mind that it was worthwhile or at least seemed so to me at the time, since I bought over a dozen specimens this way. I've seen even more that were priced beyond reason.

The one that stands out was a woman in her mid 50's that I met while looking at some rocks in a local restaurant. She was a cook there. The waitress heard the conversation at my table and told me about the cook who she said had some meteorites. She introduced me to the cook who was a very pleasant, articulate person. I invited her to bring her meteorites and a variety of other collectibles to my house. She said there was too much to take to the library. I thought she meant, too many antiques and collectibles, lol.

The next day, the calm well spoken person I met at the diner was phrenetically unloading bushel baskets full of rocks and all sorts of debris. Every rock on her property was a meteorite that she witnessed falling to the ground. Everything else was a tektite. Pieces of plastic tubing were tektites, old molten bottle glass, must have been an old dump on the property, were tektites, like the desert glass she said. She had a half melted rubber tire from an old toy tractor that she knew was a flanged button.

I tried my best but there was no authority on earth that could convince her that anything she said was incorrect. At last, as I helped her load her car, she cursed God for giving her this ability to see meteorites fall every night, since no one would believe her. She said that some day we would all learn the truth and she would be vindicated. Poor thing.

Bill