[meteorite-list] Rust Question about my stone meteorite. BKF is the best :)

From: Chris Spratt <cspratt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 07:20:09 -0700

Hello listers,

I wonder what the institutional curators do to preserve their meteorite
specimens? Do they actually do anything, or do they just let
the specimens in their care rust away? Many years ago, I saw bags of
specimens in the lower basement of the National History Museum in
London, England. Forgot to ask the preservation techniques used. I
remember seeing in the main gallery a
layout of the Tenham Australia fall. Of course it was behind glass, but
I did see what appeared to be a few flecks spalling off some of the
larger specimens. Be interesting to see if anything is done in the way
of meteorite preservation without compromising the specimens scientific
worth. We all know the Orgueil meteorite was artificially contaminated
by the introduction of foreign material.
Would the use of BKF be doing the same thing?

Chris. Spratt
Victoria, BC